Sunday, August 29, 2010

Today was yet another wonderful day!! It went a lot faster than expected, but probably just because it was FULL! I started off with volunteer breakfast, then catching the bus to Kalighat (this time it was stopped COMPLETELY when I got on! Haha!)! From there, I walked in talking to another new friend from Japan (I don't recall her name...I'll have to get that tomorrow)! She was a Freshman nursing student, which gave us something to talk about for that short 5 min walk. Then, when we got there, I realized that the wound care teams were already working on the patients, so I was told to go help with the laundry! We rinsed and wrung out clothes for a good hour. It was there I met two new friends named Paula (from Spain) and Lorena (from Mexico). Lorena's English was great, so I found it easy to converse with her, of course, using the same questions I have asked and answered for the past 3 weeks. She is a wonderful girl, though!

After laundry, we helped with exercise, and I was handed the crutches for Krishna! I headed over to her bed, and asked her if she was ready to walk today. She just stared right past me. Another woman from Spain came to help me, which was great, because I was really going to need it! I got her off her bed, and she actually HELPED us get her to the ledge this time, which was an improvement from the other day! Then, at this point she only helped a little more to get on the crutches, but one of the sisters came over again to help. She wasn't walking, but I saw an improvement, so I was telling her good job! The sisters and the workers seem to be so much more harsh with her. It saddens me! I realized that she has doll's eyes too, which I don't remember all that much about it, but I know it has to do with some sort of brain damage/nerve damage (which she has a head injury, and I wonder if that has something to do with it?) She also probably has depression, being in the state she is! I see a lot of classic signs in her!...anyways, I helped as much as I could, but then, they told me to just go put lotion on some of the patients and give them massages and to just leave her. I talked to her for a little bit longer, and then lotioned some patients!

Next, it was tea time, so I went up and saw a poster on the wall with all the Missionaries of Charity listed throughout the world! There are somewhere around 450 MOC Houses and the place that has the most after India is North America! How CRAZY is that?!?!...Then, I met another woman whose name I never got. She is from France, but she has been in Tahiti for about 5 years, practicing as a general doctor! I mentioned that I just finished nursing school and asked her if I could help out with wound care tomorrow, and she said she would be glad to have the help!! I am quite excited about that!!

After the break, they had a mass for the volunteers, then we served lunch, and I decided to help clean the dishes after. Next, I said my goodbyes to the patients and told them I would be back tomorrow, then headed out with Lorena and Bea (another friend from Spain) to go to lunch! Afterward, Lorena needed to go with the rest of the Mexicans, so I was left to find my way home on my own, but I had remembered Ciara saying that if you are on Park Street, just pick a street and walk straight and you will find your way to the street of the hotel. So, I did! NOTHING looked familiar, but I just kept walking, like I knew where I was going, with a purpose, and making little eye contact! About 15 minutes later, I landed on the right street, and it was just a block down to the hotel! I felt quite accomplished after that! :)

I journaled some, because with my days being so busy, I have not been able to as much! Then, I took a short nap, and a new Indian girl came in to stay in our room!....

So, I am starting to understand what my friend, Danielle said about how it's fun to meet people, but sometimes you just want to be around someone you know, because then you don't feel like you have to explain yourself every time you talk and try to MAKE conversation happen! Don't get me wrong, ALL the people I have met have been incredible, and I am SO thankful for them, but I am READY to see DANIELLE...and then my family, boyfriend and friends!! :)

God is still continuing to move here, not in ways that seem huge, but like Mother Teresa said (and there is a sign in Kalighat that says this)"It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing that counts"...I don't know if I put this in my last blog or not, but even if I did, it still rings true! I am praying for the LORD's love to overflow from my heart into the hearts of the least! I am praying for His light to shine forth, so much so, that they can no longer see MY face, MY hands, MY feet, but ONLY the face, hands, and feet of Christ! I am praying that the words that proceed from my mouth are the words of God Himself, speaking to their very deepest needs! Please pray with me! I want nothing more and nothing LESS than for our GREAT God to be glorified right here in the heart of Calcutta! May I continue on with His strength, running and not growing weary, renewed by His mercies every single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment